Thursday, January 28, 2016

Saul Bass-Inspired Movie Poster



My final poster design.


After completing a poster in InDesign, we transferred back to Illustrator to build a  movie poster following the style of Saul Bass, an innovative Graphic Designer from the mid 1900s, who specialized in logos and movie posters. For our remake of a modern movie, we followed these guidelines:


  • 2-3 elements
  • 1-3 colors (other than black and white)
  • Customize a typeface 


For my poster, I chose the movie Captain Phillips, a movie from 2013 based off of a true story of an American cargo ship that was captured by Somali pirates. I included three elements: a captain's hat, crosshairs, and a silhouette of a rifle, with the crosshairs and the rifle placed on the front of the hat. After several different arrangements and variations of the three elements, I finally perfected this design, and used it as my final product. Scroll down to see my design process.




My first design featured two of my final three components: the captain's hat and the rifle.




I added a shadow to create more of a Saul Bass look.




For my final design, I added crosshairs, fixed up the shadow, and customized the font.



No comments:

Post a Comment